Sunday, August 5, 2012

10k Townsville Airport Classic

Today was the day! The 10k Townsville Airport Classic in the Townsville Running Festival. I woke up with a really sore knee and was the nerves were well and truly kicking in! I've barely done any training this past 2-3 weeks, let alone much running. I really didn't know how I was going to go but I kept telling myself that I had to give it a shot. I figured if worst came to worst, I'd be able to walk if I really needed to.



I arrived nice and early, and saw all the half-marathon people set off on their 21k run. It was such a beautiful day, quite chilly at 10 degrees. We were marshaled to the starting area and all of a sudden, we were off! I was determined to run as much as I could. I got through the first 3k and found a good rhythm. The kilometre leading up to the turn around point was the hardest mentally. It felt like forever to get there. Once I got onto the esplanade of the Strand and past the final drink table, I was fired up.


 With about 2.5km to go, I glanced down at my watch and was stunned to see that I had 14 minutes left to complete the last leg and that my chances of finishing under and hour were looking good. My previous best time was 1:06:28 so to cut 7 minutes off would be a HUGE achievement. I got the last 300m and really dug deep. I picked up my pace and set off at a sprint, passing a number of people as I went. It really was exhilarating! I crossed the finish line, was handed my medal and it was over! My time was 58:27!!! Absolutely thrilled. It just goes to show what's possible when you put your mind to it!

Bring on the half marathon next year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment